Feb 22
60° F
Feb 23
Feb 24
Feb 25

STORMS AFFECT HANCOCK-WOOD MEMBERS

Friday, June 29, 2012

NORTH BALTIMORE, Ohio – 8:00 p.m. – Afternoon storms through the area have resulted in some power outages for members of Hancock-Wood Electric Cooperative (HWEC). Currently about 3,900 members are without power. Outages started at around 4:00 p.m. today, and approximately 75% of the outages are in Hancock County, with the remaining 25% in Henry, Putnam and Hardin Counties.

Crews are working on site and will continue to work to restore power to members as quickly as possible. However, the main problem revolves around transmission lines which feed five (5) HWEC substations, each out of power. HWEC does not own transmission equipment – the poles, towers and lines used to move bulk electricity from a generating plant to a substation – but uses American Electric Power (AEP) to transmit its power across lines to substations.

It is hoped that all power will be restored in 48 hours. Bear in mind, it is difficult to make an accurate prediction due to transmission problems out of Hancock-Wood’s control. Anyone experiencing future outages should call HWEC at 888-417-3010.

We demonstrate our Concern for Community by volunteering and donating to local charitable causes. Nearly $500,000 in grants have been distributed in the last decade through grants and Operation Round Up funds to individuals and organizations in need. We also provide assistance to Habitat for Humanity, schools, churches and community events. To learn more, click on Community Involvement above. learn more

Members benefit from electric service reliability, competitive rates, money after co-op bills are paid in the form of patronage/capital credits, discounts, informative co-op publications, easy-to-access payment plans, rebates, scholarships, family-friendly Member-only events and a vote in the direction of Hancock-Wood Electric Co-op. To learn more, click on Member Benefits above. learn more

Hancock-Wood keeps Member owners informed about legislation that could impact their rights or lead to unstable energy costs. Your voice has been heard at the highest court in the land. In response to petitions by electric co-ops, states and industry, the U.S. Supreme Court granted a stay of the Clean Power Plan. This is an unprecedented act by the Supreme Court. To learn more, click on "Legislation" above or go to action.coop learn more